Decoded TNEFs get detected as COM executables

Thomas Jarosch thomas.jarosch at intra2net.com
Thu Jul 21 14:54:51 CEST 2011

On Thursday, 21. July 2011 14:31:31 Mark Martinec wrote:
> > I'm wondering why do_tnef() writes out the attachment attributes
> >
> > in the first place? Currently I'm testing this little patch:
>  > [...]
> >
> > -    for my $attr_name ('AttachData','Attachment') {
> > +    for my $attr_name ('AttachData') {
> > No trouble so far. Mark, can you shed some light on this why it is
> > needed?
>
> I forgot the details, must be somewhere in the early archives of the
> mailing list. Apparently we encountered cases where this was
> necessary.

I found this in the amavisd-new 2.3.1 release notes:

- do_tnef: extract data from attribute 'Attachment' in addition to data from
  a more common attribute 'AttachData'; example data provided by Goetz
Rieger;

Also found the title of the original message from Goetz Rieger:
"Virus in TNEF-encoded attachement not found"

So it is needed :)

Cheers,
Thomas