MAIL transaction in progress

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Sun Jul 3 15:27:58 CEST 2011

> I'm getting a strange error with 2.7.0-rc1 starting today:
> 503 5.5.1 Error: MAIL transaction in progress
> 503 5.5.1 Error: nested MAIL command

For the archive:

Ralf has provided the logs of a previous transaction
leading to this error and tested the fix, thanks!
Fixed in the released 2.7.0:

BUG FIXES SINCE 2.6.6

- take a more cautious approach on keeping evidence on an SMTP session
  transaction state when feeding a message back to MTA. Under certain
  abnormal circumstances an MTA could respond to end-of-data with a temporary
  failure but retain an active transaction state, while amavisd would assume
  the transaction was closed, leading to a 'MAIL transaction in progress'
  failure on the next message using the same cached SMTP session.
  Now amavisd considers a transaction state to be unknown when there is any
  doubt and closes a session instead of caching it, unless the transaction
  is reliably known to be closed.