Amavis crashing

Darhl Thomason darhlt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 17:28:45 CEST 2011

Hi Mark,

Thanks for getting back to me!

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Mark Martinec
<Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si>wrote:

> > Aug  3 19:30:12.275 mail.server.com /usr/sbin/amavisd-new[10948]:
> > (!!)TROUBLE in pre_loop_hook: db_init: BDB no dbC: __fop_file_setup:
> > Retry limit (100) exceeded, File exists. at (eval 80) line 283.
> > Suicide () TROUBLE in pre_loop_hook: db_init: BDB no dbC:
> __fop_file_setup:
> > Retry limit (100) exceeded, File exists. at (eval 80) line 283.
>
> So this isn't a crash, but a voluntary exit after an unrecoverable error.
>
> Perhaps the BerkeleyDB perl module hasn't been reinstalled after
> a libdb (berkeley db) or a Perl upgrade?
>
> Also, stop amavisd, delete all database files (if any) in
> /var/lib/amavis/db/
> and restart.
>
>  Mark

I appreciate the clarification on it not crashing, I wasn't really sure what
else to call it.  I checked the BerkeleyDB Perl module & Perl itself and
those both looked OK, then I emptied /var/lib/amavis/db/ and restarted it
and it's working!

I was doing some more googling on it and ran across this which suggested the
same fix as you to remove the db's and restart so that's where I was heading
when I saw your reply.
http://albanianwizard.org/amavisd-new-trouble-in-pre_loop_hook-berkeleydb.albanianwizard

That's the important part, I'll remember that if it happens again.  I know
it's hard to tell and could probably be any number of things, but do you
have any suggestions on why the db's got corrupted?

Thanks again!

Darhl