how to enable notification to the virus sender user

Marco Fretz marco.fretz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 08:19:41 CEST 2011

On Apr 1, 2011, at 5:53 PM, Mark Martinec wrote:

> Kshitij,
>
>> Hello everybody from this i know very well what i am doing rather than
>> guiding me for experience.
>>
>> Please any can tell be the copnfiguration for amavisd-new to enable
>> virussendernotification .
>
> $final_virus_destiny  = D_BOUNCE;
> @viruses_that_fake_sender_maps = ();
>
> But ... don't do that!
>
> The only sensible way to warn a potentially valid sender of
> infected mail is to use a pre-queue setup and to D_REJECT viruses,
> *not* to bounce them.

btw. That is the best way to handle virus and spam mails! Reject in smtp-dialoge with sending mailserver. That way the sending mailserver will create the bound back to the original sender (if there is one) and not you, you won't have any problems with getting blacklisted and you don't have to handle the junk mails.

We are doing antispam / antivirus this way for about 10000 mailboxes for about 1 1/2 years now and it's working perfectly. no customer complains so far. accepting and then bouncing mails is by far the worst way to handle spam oder virus and putting them into a junk folder is the most work intensive way and produces the highest false positive rate for the user.

Marco