setting amavisd on new server Q

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Fri Apr 15 02:02:56 CEST 2011

Voytek,

> I currently run  amavisd-new-2.6.4 (20090625) on Centos Postfix  2.4.5,
> smtp auth, rather basic setup, largely configured from help picked up
> here, and, it runs well despite the sysadmin
>
> I've setup a new server on Ubuntu Postfix 2.7.0 and would like to setup
> amavisd as well,
>
> looking on amavisd page, I guess 2.6.5 is what I should use

Right. For a new installation either go for 2.6.5 or 2.7.0-pre15.

The 2.6.4 is probaly alright too for many sites, but check the
2.6.5 release notes for bug fixes and see is any of these
affect your site/configuration.

> can I just take copy oldserver:/etc/amavisd.conf to new server,
> is this as simple as that ?

It should do. There are no functional or config changes
betweeen 2.6.4 and 2.6.5. Even if there were, incompatible
changes in the interpretation of a config file are very rarely
made, so even a very old config file is likely to keep its
semantics with current versions.

> or is that a bad idea ? not really a good idea ?

It is probably fine. The only reason for considering radically
changing an existing config file is to dust it off and make
it cleaner. The 2.7.0 for example brings a much simplified
sample config file, so this may be an opportunity for some
Spring cleaning, if there is a will to do so.

> ohm yes, how can I get some sort of useful stats idea from old server just
> to see ?
>
> (I'm running on new server since few days, personally, I didn't see any
> issues as yet (with getting spam, etc), BUT, one user tellig me he is
> getting heaps of garbagge in his mail)

Larger sites are probably using a SNMP agentx feature of amavisd
for collecting and plotting statistics, and for health monitoring.
Other choices are log analysis or collecting data from an
SQL logging (pen pals) database maintained by amavisd.