Rewriting amavisd.conf

Patrick Ben Koetter p at sys4.de
Fri Oct 12 15:05:00 CEST 2018

* Ralph Seichter <m16+amavis at monksofcool.net>:
> On 12.10.18 14:06, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
>
> > I would like to come up with a completely new amavisd.conf.
>
> Personally, I use /etc/amavisd.conf.d to hold several portions of the
> configuration (which are versioned with Git), and a Makefile to generate
> /etc/amavisd.conf from these portions. I wonder if this can be mimiced
> without the Makefile.

As Alexander pointed out, debian uses /etc/amavis/conf.d and IIRC reads in
anything that ends on *.conf. This allows the distribution to ship
distribution-specific defaults without modifying the programs source code.

And they prepend numbers to the conf files, which then controls the order in
which they are read when amavis starts. Last match wins. Also nice.

But - Alex please correct me if I'm wrong – the last time I had a closer look
at this mechanism, the default directory permissions allowed anyone to create
files in /etc/amavis/conf.d. This would allow an attacker with shell access to
place a file in /etc/amavis/conf.d that would be read in last, thus overriding
all previous settings.

Even if the distribution does a good job on this, it is still upon the
distribution to add this bit of security. I'm uncertain if we should leave
this room for "getting it wrong".

We could, however use /etc/amavis/conf.d/*.conf and only read them if the
permissions are 640 and ownership is either root, $daemon_user or
$damon_group.

p at rick

--
[*] sys4 AG

https://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Schleißheimer Straße 26/MG,80333 München