Upgrade due to CentOS 5 EOL

Simon Wilson simon at simonandkate.net
Sun Apr 23 03:22:44 CEST 2017

> Good evening all
>
> We have been running Postfix/Cyrus/Amavis on CentOS for over 10 years.
>
> Now we are faced with upgrading from CentOS 5 due to EOL.  Choices
> are CentOS 6 and 7.  Comments as to best choice would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Sent from Curtis E. Falany's iPhone, 813-716-2582.

----- End message from Curtis <cefalany at qwik.net> -----

I've just run up a new KVM VM with CentOS 7, postfix, saslauthd (to
LDAP on another VM), cyrus-imapd, amavisd-new, clamav, spamassassin,
fail2ban - ready to migrate from an old CentOS 5 box running the same
software.

I chose 7 as it is long EOL, I don't want to be doing the same thing
again in 3 years! The old box ran sweet for 6 years.

I had no major dramas with it, there are some good improvements in the
newer versions (e.g. postscreen in postfix), and I fixed up some
config errors that had crept in over the years on the old box. I also
used the opportunity to learn a lot more about some of the config
settings that I just took for granted last time.

If you know CentOS then you will get the hang of 7 pretty quickly,
even with the changes. Nothing that Google or mailing lists can't help
you with.

Simon

--
Simon Wilson