Adding X_SPAM headers to passed messages

James B. Byrne via amavis-users amavis-users at amavis.org
Wed May 14 15:36:52 CEST 2014

On Tue, May 13, 2014 17:42, Larry Stone via amavis-users wrote:

>>> that level
>
>> If you review the configuration settings I gave above you will discover that
>> already have applied the suggested configuration changes and am not
>> obtaining
>> the results indicated:
>>
>> For example, taken verbatim from the link you helpfully provided:
>>
>>> Eureka! Uncommenting and changing the first line to
>>>   $sa_tag_level_deflt = -9999; # always add spam info headers
>>> and restarting amavis
>>>   sudo service amavis restart
>>> has resulted in all messages getting the X-Spam- headers:
>>
>> Well, my setting in amavisd.conf is: $sa_tag_level_deflt  = -9999;  and
>> amavisd has been restarted many times since that change was made.
>
> Are you sure the amavisd.conf you're editing (/etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf
> per what you originally said and quoted above) is the one amavisd is
> actually using? What is the command used to start amavisd? The
> default configuration file name can be overridden on the command used to
> start it.
>
> -- Larry Stone
>     lstone19 at stonejongleux.com

# service amavisd stop
Shutting down amavisd: Daemon [24485] terminated by SIGTERM
                                                           [  OK  ]
amavisd stopped
[root at inet08 ~]# mv /etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf /etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf.locked
[root at inet08 ~]# service amavisd start
Starting amavisd: Config file "/etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf" does not exist, at
/usr/sbin/amavisd line 2085.
                                                           [FAILED]

This package is obtained from EPEL and follows the Fedora/RedHat FHS layout.
The init script sets the configuration file explicitly at:

#prog="/opt/amavisd-new/sbin/amavisd"
prog="/usr/sbin/amavisd"
prog_base="$(basename ${prog})"

prog_config_file="/etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf"

and the program is run by:

case "$1" in
  start)
	action $"Starting ${prog_base}:" ${prog} -c ${prog_config_file}
	RETVAL=$?
	[ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/${prog_base}
	echo
	;;

I am fairly confident that I am working on the right configuration file.

I keep thinking that there is something about SPF and Spamassassin which is
influencing this matter but I have no clue as to why I have that sense.  But,
as Amavisd is what handles the header writing, I have to deal with the issue
here.

Canada  L8E 3C3