amavisd fails to start on reboot, but no problems starting manually [SOLVED]

Ryan de Laplante (personal) ryan at ryandelaplante.com
Tue Apr 16 16:51:14 CEST 2013

On 2013-04-16 3:19 AM, Tom Hendrikx wrote:
> On 04/16/2013 03:25 AM, Ryan de Laplante (personal) wrote:
>> I enabled the amavis.log instead of using syslog and then rebooted.
>> Same issue: just dtwo lines in the log file.  Next I tried to manually
>> start amavis and got an error message:
>>
>>> # /etc/init.d/amavis start
>>> Starting amavisd: hostname: Name or service not known
>>>    The value of variable $myhostname is "", but should have been
>>>    a fully qualified domain name; perhaps uname(3) did not provide such.
>>>    You must explicitly assign a FQDN of this host to variable $myhostname
>>>    in /etc/amavis/conf.d/05-node_id, or fix what uname(3) provides as a
>>> host's
>>>    network name!
>>> (failed).
>> When I run uname -a I can see the FQDN, so that is a little puzzling.  I
>> followed the instructions in the error message (setting $myhostname
>> manually in 05-node_id) and then tried starting it again.  This time it
>> worked.
>>
>> Next I rebooted and amavisd started properly on its own!
>>
> Sounds like the machine receives the hostname and/or domain settings
> from the network (f.i. dhcp), and this isn't available directly after
> boot. Maybe everything would start working out of the box when you'd
> configure amavisd to start after dhcp and dns services.

The machine has a static IP and hostname.  It is one of seven LXC
containers running on an Intel Core 2 Duo from 2007-2008 and the machine
takes about ten minutes to finish booting.  This mail server seems to be
the last one to come up... you can't even ping or SSH into it until near
the end of the boot cycle, so it's probably related to that.

Thanks,
Ryan