Spamassassin configuration files not working

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Tue May 3 17:57:14 CEST 2011

Jimmi,

>  Thanks for the tips, I will look into. Nevertheless, sorry for
>  insisting, my point is relevant to another issue. On the same
>  http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/#faq-spam I read:
>
>  "Does SpamAssassin observe settings in its configuration file local.cf?
>      SA does observe all settings in its configuration file, but not all
>  of them have effect on the mail being checked ..."
>
>  My questions are:
>  - Is amavis SA module supposed to read by default
>  /etc/spamassassin/*.cf files (or /etc/mail/spamassassin/*.cf/)?

Yes, same as a command line 'spamassassin' or spamd.
The only difference would be that a different username is used.

>  - When the above happen, should I have the following lines in the
>  amavis debug log?
>  debug: config: read file /etc/mail/spamassassin/init.pre
>  debug: config: read file /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf

Well, yes, in the 'debug-sa' mode, not in a plain 'debug'.

Either do a:

# amavisd debug-sa

or enabe SA debugging in amavisd.conf with a:

  $sa_debug = '1,all';

(the value is compatible with both old and newer versions of SA,
the 'all' should probably suffice with more recent versions).

>  - If amavis is not doing so, how may I make it happen?

Let's see the debug-sa first, before trying to guess what is happening.