amavis crashing in Natty

Scott Kitterman amavis at kitterman.com
Mon Mar 14 04:46:03 CET 2011

On Sunday, March 13, 2011 06:58:06 pm Mark Martinec wrote:
> Florian wrote:
> > I just discovered some woes with amavis on Natty. Maybe someone can
> > confirm, so a fix could make it right into the release:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/amavisd-new/+bug/731878
>
> Parick wrote:
> > I think this goes back to a problem in Net::Server, which doesn't kill
> > old processes correctly when /etc/init.d/amavis force-reload has been
> > executed. Marc posted a fix for this to the (old) list.
>
> It is true that Net::Server has a bug where it forgets to reclaim
> process exit status of child processes after a reload - but symptoms
> are quite different (zombies showing, but otherwise no effect on
> proper operation). I don't think that bug explains Florian's problem
> report. Why a shutdown does not work needs to be examined here.

I put a test version of the updated Net::Server with your patch in my PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~kitterman/+archive/ppa

If that doesn't resolve Florian's problem, then I think your conjecture that
there's another problem is proven.  I'll still work on getting it updated, but
I want to work through Debian (I've contacted Alexander Wirt offlist about
this).

Scott K