how to enable notification to the virus sender user

Marco Fretz marco.fretz at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 09:12:37 CEST 2011

On Apr 19, 2011, at 9:26 AM, Alexander Wirt wrote:

> Marco Fretz schrieb am Tuesday, den 19. April 2011:
>

>> On Apr 1, 2011, at 5:53 PM, Mark Martinec wrote:
>>
>>> Kshitij,

>>> $final_virus_destiny  = D_BOUNCE;
>>> @viruses_that_fake_sender_maps = ();
>>>
>>> But ... don't do that!
>>>
>>> The only sensible way to warn a potentially valid sender of
>>> infected mail is to use a pre-queue setup and to D_REJECT viruses,
>>> *not* to bounce them.
>>
>> btw. That is the best way to handle virus and spam mails! Reject in smtp-dialoge with sending mailserver. That way the sending mailserver will create the bound back to the original sender (if there is one) and not you, you won't have any problems with getting blacklisted and you don't have to handle the junk mails.
> That is indeed the best way to get unsubscribed from mailinglists as this
> behaviour triggers bounce handling. Unless you are able to discard mails of
> severity junk or lists - don't do this.

I never thought about that. It's an interesting point: The question is why should a mailing list forward spam to its members when my spamassassin can reject them with a clear score above 6.31 (the best proven reject level for SA). and if the blacklist does forward such spam (thus is not using content filtering) why should I as a mail provider care? even for a workaround our users are able to whitelist senders via a Web user interface for their accounts, domains, etc.

You should really read "Das Postfix Buch" by "Peer Heinlein" if you haven't yet. He makes a really good point about spamhandling, false-positives and lawful background.

As I said, we haven't had any problems so far. If more and more providers and enterprises start using this spam handling strategy (what's currently happening) the mailinglists will have to think again about their bound handling and spam filtering solution.

another question you could ask yourself: why should I fight with my customers about false-positves laying around in their junk-boxes? why not let the sender fight with his provider why his mail was marked as spam somewhere in the world?

as I said, users can make exceptions if they have problems with certain mailinglists or other senders. no rule without exceptions :)

greets
marco